RainWise is a rebate program that helps eligible property owners manage stormwater by installing cisterns and/or rain gardens on private property. Contractors must go through our Orientation and be licensed. See Contractor Licensing Requirements for more information.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Become a RainWise Contractor: Next Steps
After completing your RainWise Contractor training, refer to these documents to become a RainWise contractor:
RainWise Project Paperwork Forms
Before the Project Starts
Before construction begins on a RainWise project, contractors are responsible for the completion of these forms.
- RainWise Customer Understanding Form
- RainWise Infiltration Test Form
- Sample Site Plan
- RainWise Rebate Calculator 2023 update
Project Completed: Rebate Paperwork
Here are the forms that need to be completed by the property owner and contractor to receive final rebate payment.
- RainWise Rebate Checklist for Customers
- RainWise Rebate Overview Form
- Vendor Payment Option Form
- RainWise Property Owner Agreement – Projects under 3,000 sq ft
- RainWise Large Facility Agreement – Projects 3,000 sq ft or more
- 2018 W9 form
- Rain Garden Warranty Form
- Cistern Warranty Form
- Rain Garden Statement of Function Form
- Cistern Statement of Function Form
- Rockery Release Form
For efficiency/ease, here is a consolidated packet of forms that contractors will need to complete with the customer.
Financial Support Options
- Vendor Payment Option (VPO): For homeowners who choose to have the rebate go directly to their contractor.
- Please fill out this Rebate Assignment Option form with the homeowner.
For property owners:
- RainWise Access Grant: Provides up to an additional $1000 for RainWise-eligible homeowners and non-profit community organizations (including religious groups) for income-limited and underserved communities
- Access Grant and Mini-Grant in Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Korean
Marketing, Design and Maintenance Materials & Resources
- RainWise FAQs in English.
- RainWise One Pager in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Traditional Chinese, Somali, Tigrayan.
- Cistern Fact Sheet available in English, Cambodian, Traditional Chinese.
- RainWise Rebate Calculator 2023 update
- Design Details for Rain Gardens and Cisterns Presentation, 2022 update
- Design Details for Rain Gardens and Cisterns PDF, 2022 update
- How to install a pump to a cistern
- RainWise Side Sewer Guidance
- RainWise Land Use Requirement
Guides for Plant Selection:
Use these plant suggestions and plans to simplify your design process and share options with customers.
- Sightline Institute – Using Cistern Water for Edibles
- RainWise Planting Plan
- SPU Natural Drainage Systems Plant Palette 2000-2006
- Seattle Green Factor Plant List
Teach your customers how to maintain their cistern and rain gardens. Use our maintenance guide or “how-to” videos. These are all available in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (English)
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (Spanish)
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (Vietnamese)
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (Traditional Chinese)
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (Cambodian)
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (Somali)
- Rain Garden and Cistern Maintenance Guide (Tigrinya)
The RainWise Program emails and its Contractor News and Tips Newsletter to RainWise contractors. The purpose of this newsletter is to provide contractors with important program updates and events. If you are a RainWise contractor and you are not receiving the newsletter by email, please contact us at email@example.com to let us know. Please also let us know if you change your email address. We want to make sure we are sending the newsletter to the right place!
RainWise Contractor Newsletter
- RainWise Feasibility Inspection
- Vendors for Cistern & Rain Garden Plumbing Supplies
- RainWise Cistern Invoice Process – How-to guide for ordering, picking up, and paying for RainWise cisterns through the Washington Conservation Corps.
- Map of RainWise Basins (updated January 2023)
- Maps of rain garden eligibility – Maps of each basin showing which properties are likely eligible for rain gardens.
- RainWise Contractor Program Participation Criteria
- Seattle stormwater manual Seattle SDCI – 2021 Stormwater Code
- Rain garden handbook for western Washington fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/publications/1310027.pdf
- Seattle right-of-way improvements manual streetsillustrated.seattle.gov/
- Seattle standard specifications and plans seattle.gov/util/engineering/standardspecsplans/
- Seattle side sewer permit requirements seattle.gov/dpd/permits/permittypes/sidesewer/
- Seattle director’s rules web6.seattle.gov/dpd/dirrulesviewer/
- Seattle land use code seattle.gov/dpd/codesrules/codes/landuse/
- Additional resources from western WA 12000raingardens.org/resources/#