A bioretention system is comprised of specially-engineered and landscaped basins that capture and clean polluted runoff from roads, roofs, and parking lots. A bioretention system is larger and more complex than a rain garden. Of all green stormwater infrastructure methods, bioretention handles the most stormwater relative to its footprint. Bioretention is typically used in public space or on commercial property to manage stormwater.
- Can manage large amounts of runoff
- Can be designed to calm traffic
- Adds beauty, habitat, and green space
- Protects against future flooding risks due to climate change
- Can be used for Green Factor requirements